July has been designated LifeWise Oregon Berry Festival Restaurant Month, with berry-centric menu items offered at local Portland restaurants.
- Farm lettuces, Oregon raspberries, snap peas, pistachios, fromage blanc, tarragon vinaigrette
- Farm lettuces, Chester blackberries, snap peas, pistachios, fromage blanc, tarragon vinaigrette
- Pullman Brioche French Toast with Berry Compote
- Twitter / IG: @Besaws
- Peach and Blackberry Galette
- poppy seed, ricotta cream, lemon balm caramel
- Blueberry and Corn Crêpe
- blueberry compote, yogurt cream, basil
- Sweet panzanella
- with macerated strawberries over creme anglaise
- Saba Nanban or Strawberry Mackerel
- Serving Size: 2
For the pickled saba (mackerel)
- 1 Norwegian Mackerel
- 1 C flour
- 1 C rice wine vinegar
- ½ C mirin
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt plus extra to season
- oil for frying
For the pickled green strawberries
- 1 pint of green strawberries
- 2 C rice wine vinegar
- 1 C water
- 2 T sugar
- 1 t salt
- half stalk of lemongrass, bruised
- 1 t coriander
- 3 inch piece of grapefruit rind
- 3 inch piece of lime rind
- 3 inch piece of lemon rind
To make the pickled mackerel you need to filet both sides discarding the spine and head. For each filet run your knife alongside the bloodline on either side so you have two pieces of the filet. Then cut in half width wise so you have 4 pieces of the mackerel side. Repeat for the other side. You now have 8 pieces of mackerel.
Lightly salt the mackerel pieces and dust in flour. Deep fry in neutral oil at 375 degrees for 2 minutes. Pull from oil and place on a plate with a towel liner. Lightly salt fried mackerel. Place in a bowl. In the meantime, place rice wine vinegar, mirin, sugar and salt in a pot at medium heat. Heat to 180 degrees. When it reaches the temperature pour over fried mackerel. Set in refrigerator to cool.
To make the pickled green strawberries first wash them and trim off stem: bring rice vinegar, water, sugar, salt, lemongrass, coriander, and citrus rinds to a boil. Cool completely. When cool, pour over green strawberries. Let stand in refrigeration for 2 days.
To serve, place pickled mackerel in a bowl and sprinkle pickled green strawberries around. Garnish with parsley.